Kristin Russell: Kristin has been involved with soccer as a player and coach for 20 years. After years of playing youth soccer as both a field player and goalkeeper she accepted a scholarship to St. John’s University. At St. John’s University in Queens, NY she was a four year starter, ranked 3rd in the nation as a freshman, led St. John’s to its first-ever NCAA Tournament, All time career-record holder in: victories, shutouts and goals against average. She is also listed many times in the single-season record charts for the BIG EAST. Upon graduating from St. John’s University she signed a contract to play professional soccer with Afturelding FC in Mosfellsbaer, Iceland. In 2012 she returned to the states where she began her career as a Personal Trainer. Kristin is very excited to be back in Pinellas County where she can share her vast experience both on the field and in net with young aspiring athletes.
St. John’s University Division 1 Goal Keeper
Freshman year (2008): Kristin had a standout rookie campaign in which she played in and started 18 games.
- Recorded 10 shutouts on the season to set a new individual single-season record
- Ranked No. 3 in the nation with a 0.907 save percentage
- Nationally ranked No. 5 with a 0.442 goals against average
- Finished second in GAA and seventh in save percentage in program’s single-
season record books
- Helped defense rank 11th in the nation in GAA and 26th in the nation with a 0.526
- Garnered Soccer Buzz All-Northeast freshman team honors
- In addition to earning All-BIG EAST honorable mention distinction
- Named BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week three times
- Garnered TopDrawerSoccer.com Team of the Week distinction
Ranked the following among all players in the BIG EAST:
- First in GAA
- First in save percentage
- Sixth in saves
- Fifth in saves per game
- Tied for second in shutouts
- First in shutouts per game
Sophomore year (2009): Kristin started all 21 games in goal and posted 10 shutouts, tying the program-record she set the previous season.
- Finished the year nationally ranked No. 9 in save percentage
- Nationally ranked No. 16 in goals against average
- Named BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week twice
- Named ECAC Defensive Player of the Week
- Made seven saves in the BIG EAST semifinal, overtime loss to Notre Dame
- Made 10 saves in NCAA Tournament action against Virginia (Nov. 13) in a
scoreless double-overtime tie
Junior year (2010): Kristin started all 18 games in net and became the program’s all-time leader in career shutouts, goals against average and moved up to No. 2 in career wins (26) and No. 5 in career saves (253).
- Named third team All-BIG EAST
- Ranked ninth in the BIG EAST in GAA
- Earned BIG EAST weekly honors Twice
- Posted seven shutouts, tied for fourth all-time in the single-season record books (also single-season record)
holder for shutouts with 10 in 2009 and 2008)
- Named to the James Madison/Comfort Inn Harrisonburg All-Tournament Team
after recording eight saves in 200 minutes of action
Senior year (2011): Kristin’s senior season was cut short as she played in just 11 games before injuring her foot. Of those 11 games, five were shutouts. The St. Petersburg, Fl. native topped St. John’s career record books as the all time leader in career victories, shutouts and goals against average.
Off the Pitch: four-time BIG EAST Academic All-Star (2008-11)
Afturelding Football Club – Mosfellsbaer, Iceland – Professional Goal Keeper
Professional Experience (2012): Kristin signed her contract with Afturelding FC in March 2011. With the American league on hiatus, Russell was one of many professional women soccer players from the United States to play in the European leagues.
- Starting Goal Keeper
- Four-time Man of the Match
- Led Afturelding to their first ever play- off berth